Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hurricane? What hurricane?

We watched the weather extremely closely all of last week. Hurricane Earl was making a beeline for the East Coast and we were supposed to leave Friday for a 4-day boating weekend with friends. We even called the marina to see how late we could cancel if we decide to delay our trip by a day. Hurricanes like this happen so rarely around here, they didn't know what the protocol would be. Some of our friends were leaving Thursday night to ensure that they could get to the rendevous marina but we didn't have that option.

Friday morning rolled around and we got up early to watch the weather yet again. Yes, Earl was still out there but he had veered a little further east than the original predictions. The wave reports looked promising so we decided to go for it. I'll admit that I did call my mother to tell her where we were going and when she should expect us to arrive at our destination. I felt like I was supposed to be worried about the hurricane but all the boating sites made it seem like it was safe to venture out.

I am so glad we decided to go. The waves were fine. The wind was calm. The only "trouble" we had was a mile north of the Bay Bridge where waves always pick up. We made it past the bridge and had an enjoyable rest of our trip.

There were a least 10 container ships on the south side of the Bay Bridge. I've never seen that many anchored in one spot. We figured they had come up the bay to avoid any hurricane trouble. I've decided to call it a container ship truck stop. This isn't the best photo but it gives you the idea:
We arrived safely in typical time, I texted my mother to let her know we had arrived, and the weekend celebration began...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it through. I wouldnt know what to do if there was a hurricane warning, but then again, I dont have a boat