When we first made the decision we promised each other that we would give this lifestyle at least three years. We weren't allowed to give up after the first winter no matter how bad it got.
And now? Two winters (and two glorious springs, summers, and autumns) later? We can't imagine going back to a non-floating residence.
Check out all that we have accomplished in 730 days:
- A home office so I can comfortably and effectively work at home.
- A full length mirror in the Master Stateroom.
- A new hot water heater.
- The purchase of new dinnerware.
- Lots of organization tricks.
- The replacement of two faucets.
- The addition of a printer nook.
- Prep work for winter condensation.
- The purchase of electric heaters for winter.
- A new mattress for the Master Stateroom.
- Fixing the washer/dryer.
- New LED lights.
- Two new HVAC units (this vessel has four).
- The purchase of an ice-eater to protect us during an extremely cold Baltimore winter.
- Winter water prep and protection of outdoor pipes.
- A Lehr propane motor for the dinghy.
- Four short hauls.
- A few days "on the hard."
- A new name.
- Figuring out how to change the oil, fuel filters, impellers on the engines and generator.
- Four new house batteries.
- A couple fresh coats of wax.
- New LED lights (with the option of blue or white).
- Replacement helm stereo, speakers, and a new TV.
- New valves for the VacuFlush system.
- Repair of one holding tank sensor and replacement of the other (aren't you glad there aren't pictures of that?).
- Using Starbrite Waterproofing to seal the canvas against leaks.
- A holiday party and the Baltimore Parade of Lights (perhaps 2015 is the year we finally enter our boat?).
- Movies on the dock.
- New Year's Eve.
- The Star-Spangled Spectacular.
- Trawler Fest.
- An Open Boat party.
- A total of 68 different neighbors on our 14 slip dock.
- We ventured to Annapolis, Fairlee Creek, Kent Narrows, Rock Hall, Saint Michaels, Seneca Creek, Sparrows Point, Stevensville, Sue Creek, and Tolchester for a total of 125 engine and 457 generator hours.