Thursday, January 30, 2014

Winter Oasis

As you are most likely aware, the Polar Vortex has settled its chilly self firmly into my world. Last Friday, as I looked forward to the predicted temperatures for the weekend, I couldn't wait to get to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia? Aren't you in Baltimore? Why would you want to go further north?

Because Philadelphia had one of these:
And one of these -- with as much water as I wanted!
And one of these -- that actually kept my room nice and comfortable:
This is perhaps the only non-HVAC blog with a photograph of a thermostat.
I'm an active member of the Association for Library Service to Children (a division of the American Library Association) and I was attending the Midwinter Conference. The conferences are always a highlight of my year -- participating in the important work of the association, seeing new books, meeting authors, and time with old friends. Only this year, the draw of a hotel room was stronger than ever. I was away for three nights but the mural outside my window kept me from feeling homesick.
The break from the elegant camping of my winter marina has left me refreshed and ready for another month of cold. I highly recommend that all winter liveaboards splurge on a hotel night halfway through winter.

Back home, the cold and almost windless environment has led to an icy marina.
Luv'n Life IV is completely iced in.
The birds seem to like it:
And quite a few boats have put out their de-icers.

I'm just enjoying the sun as it reflects off the ice and keeps it from getting much thicker. Still loving it, but....how long until summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment