Sunday, July 10, 2011

32 Boats and 4 Nights of Fireworks

We spent Friday through Monday of Independence Day weekend in Sue Creek. The first night was just us, nice and relaxing and there were a few fireworks shows in the distance. By Saturday afternoon the wild rumpus had begun. We were in one of two side-by-side large raft ups. As each group added more boats it because obvious that were going to have to join together to make room for everyone. The final count that I heard was 32 boats! I apologize that this picture is so small, we had to take the zodiac quite a ways back to get all of the boats in the picture.How often do you see a 37 foot boat rafted up stern to stern? Many of these boats did not stay the night but it was an interesting sight while it lasted and a couple of us pledged our brand allegiance to the crowd (the white flag is ours):I think we had the hit, surprise dessert when we made bananas foster for everyone. While we make this at home, we were a little apprehensive about lighting the 151 on fire on the boat, but as I pointed out the little grill already has flame. Another plus -- We discovered that our freezer is cold enough to keep ice cream at the right consistency. As I've said before, with a little planning, you can do amazing meals on the boat.

The family on the property in front of us was having one heck of a party. I've been told that this is a private residence. How cool would it be to have a permanent slip and slide into the water?Not only do they have a slip and slide, but they put on a private fireworks show before the Sue Creek show Saturday night. They were so close that we could see the people lighting the fireworks. We were also so close that our boats were covered in firework residue. Lastly, we were close enough to see the remains of the boxes upon boxes of fireworks that they set off. The Sue Creek fireworks were fabulous. We were close and the weather was perfect. As I posted on my Facebook page a few days later, I love being on a boat for fireworks. I especially love all of the airhorns at the end of the show. It always give me a thrill.

The weather was so nice that we didn't need AC that evening. The weather was not so nice at 4am when the thunderstorm rolled through. A bit of a rude awakening but no harm done. We got the boat closed in and settled back down for the rest of the night.

I know you'll be shocked to learn that Sunday was more fun in the sun. I think everyone took a ride in our blow up kayak. It's really a workout if you aren't used to it.

Sunday night - more fireworks and an unsuccessful attempt to take the kayak down the slip and slide. Boys will be boys.

Monday morning - go home. :( We left so we could enjoy the Baltimore fireworks and pool back at our home marina with friends in the neighborhood. The fireworks in Sue Creek were better than Baltimore but was nice to get home and sleep in our own bed.

Here are a few last pictures from the weekend:

I have decided that they should use this house to film the next Corona commercial. Doesn't it look like the commercial with the Christmas palm tree?The egrets all have babies and their nests are so cool.
Finally, I love how many birds congregate on this lighthouse near Hart Miller Island.
No boating this weekend. Instead we had dinner with friends, parties, and cookouts. Can't wait to get back on the water!

My apologies for taking so long to write this post. Shorter work weeks are great but also hectic.

1 comment: